Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time:25 min
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 sweet onion (peeled and halved, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lbs lean strip steak
- Sprinkle the steak with the salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the steak and sear for about 3 minutes. Turn the steak over, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or longer as desired for doneness. Remove the steak from the pan and keep it warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the water, thyme, and brown sugar, cover the pan, and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are very soft.
- Slice the steak. Serve the slices covered with the onions.
Easy Half-Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
Prep Time: 15
Cook Time: 20
- 1 (24-oz) bag fingerling potatoes (cut into 1-inch rounds with skin-on)
- 1 (16-oz) package frozen cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 5 tbsp Smart Balance margarine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add potatoes to a large soup pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower to pot, return to a boil, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower and return to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash mixture with a potato masher. Mix with an electric mixer on low-speed for about 1 minute.