Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 pound sirloin, flank or hanger steak, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, sliced in ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or thyme (2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced in ¼ inch half moons
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and cut in ¼ inch slices
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled and cut in ¼ inch slices
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, deseeded if desired, cut in ¼ inch rounds or slices
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch, potato starch or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 whole-wheat rolls or buns, split and toasted
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- baby arugula, baby spinach or shredded lettuce (optional)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the chipotle sauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, sour cream or mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper, minced + ½ tablespoon adobo sauce (from 1 can chipotle in adobo)
- 1 small lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- kosher salt, to taste
- Place the trimmed steak on a plate in the freezer for 20 minutes. Freezing the steak will make it easier to get thin slices from it.
- Heat a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet over high heat with 1 teaspoon of olive oil until the oil shimmers. Carefully add the mushrooms and sauté them until browned about 4 minutes. Sprinkle in the oregano and stir before adding the onions. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions have begun to caramelize then scrape in the roasted peppers and jalapeno. Sauté for 4 minutes to warm the peppers through and just soften the jalapenos. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the pan to high heat and, while the pan is heating back up, thinly slice the steak against the grain in ¼ inch wide strips. Season generously with salt and pepper. Pour the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil into the hot pan and add the steak. Cook, tossing occasionally until the steak is browned on both sides, which should take about 3 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-high before transferring the vegetables back into the pan with the meat along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate. Sprinkle the cornstarch over everything and pour in the broth. Stir, allowing the liquid to come up to a boil, and cook until a thick glaze forms and coats everything. Remove from the heat, taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Make the chipotle sauce by stirring everything except the salt together in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and more chipotle sauce as needed.
- Turn the broiler on to high. Arrange the toasted buns on a sheet tray, spread with the chipotle sauce before adding the arugula. Divide the meat and veggies evenly between the 4 rolls. Tear the cheese slices into pieces and place on top then broil for 2 minutes to get the cheese bubbly and slightly browned. Serve with more chipotle sauce if desired.