Servings: 12-16 pies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 13 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the cookies:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup (142 grams) dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 ½ cups (300 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (8.5 grams) nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup (227 grams) milk or milk alternative, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Ingredients for the filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with a rack in the middle. Line two large sheet trays with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- To make the cookies: Put the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed until paler in color and slightly stiff, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom as needed to ensure even mixing. Add the egg and beat on medium until fully mixed in then scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat in the vanilla paste or extract.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon until combined. Tip in about 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the butter and beat on medium-low speed until the flour is almost completely mixed in. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl before adding another 1/3 of the dry ingredients. Repeat the above step until all of the flour is almost fully mixed in.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer, pour in the milk and finish mixing by hand until everything has just come together.
- In a small bowl stir together the granulated sugar, the remaining 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of salt until mixed.
- Using a #20 or ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop out the dough and roll it into a ball. Roll the top part of each ball of cookie dough in the cinnamon sugar before placing it on the tray, leaving at least 1 inch of space between each one. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges and just set. Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack. Allow them to cool completely to room temperature before filling them.
- To make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl on high speed with beaters or a paddle attachment until smooth and blended. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and beat, starting slow until the powdered sugar dissolved, then on medium-high speed until the filling is smooth and firm but still spreadable. If the frosting seems too soft, add more powdered sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too thick, thin it out with a splash of milk.
- To finish: pipe or spread the filling over the flat part of one cookie then sandwich it with another one (ideally one that matches shape and size).