Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2/3 cup warm water (95°F-110°F)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
Ingredients for the pizza toppings:
- 6 ounces (about 1 bunch) broccoli rabe
- 4 ounces hot or mild Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup Cabot plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 cup Cabot shredded Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese (or your favorite type)
- olive oil, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To make the pizza dough: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for 5 minutes or until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt and 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Stir until a scraggly dough forms then turn out onto the counter and knead until a smooth dough forms, approximately 7 minutes. If you are using the stand mixer: with the dough hook knead for 5-7 minutes until a smooth dough forms.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl and place the dough in. Turn to coat the dough in oil then cover with a clean dishtowel or plastic wrap. Proof in a warm, draft-free spot for 25 to 30 minutes until almost doubled in size.
- To cook the toppings: Heat half of the grill to high. Place a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed pan on the grill and, once it’s hot, add the Italian sausage. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break it up into pieces while it cooks, until caramelized and cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Toss the broccoli rabe with a drizzle of oil, salt and pepper until evenly coated. Put it on the grill and cook until the stems are softened and the greens have begun to char, about 5 minutes. Flip the broccoli rabe halfway through cooking to ensure that it cooks evenly. Transfer to a cutting board and roughly chop into bite-sized pieces.
- To make the sauce: In a medium bowl stir together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, dill, chives and a pinch of salt. Taste and adjust with more salt and lemon juice as needed.
- To grill: Lightly flour the counter and turn the pizza dough out of the bowl (let gravity do its job and don’t use your hands to scoop it out). Using a bench scraper or knife divide the dough in half. Cover one of them with the bowl while you roll out the other. Gently shape the dough into a circle then roll out to ¼ inch thickness, rotating as you go to ensure a round shape. Transfer to a piece of parchment and roll out the other piece of dough. Transfer to a separate piece of parchment paper. Generously flour both dough rounds.
- Using your fingers carefully transfer one of the dough rounds directly onto the hot grill grates. Let it cook until the top begins to bubble up and the bottom has browned, about 45 seconds. Use tongs and/or a thin spatula to rotate the dough to evenly cook all the way around, with some charred spots, for 1 to 2 more minutes. Flip and brush the cooked side with olive oil; cook for 2 or 3 minutes until browned before flipping again, brushing the other side with oil. Flip again and transfer to a pizza peel, upside-down sheet tray or cutting board (the first side that was cooked should be the bottom of the pizza). Repeat with the second dough round.
- Spread 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of the sauce over each crust in an even layer. Sprinkle the Italian sausage and broccoli rabe evenly before topping with the shredded cheese. Slide each pizza onto the cooler part of the grill, cover, and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 2 to 5 minutes, rotating as needed.
- Let the pizza sit for 2 minutes before slicing. Serve with the sauce on the side for dipping, if desired.