Prep Time: 6 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies:
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 – 450 gram jar (about 1 ¾ cups) natural peanut butter (smooth or crunchy)
- 4 tablespoons strawberry or raspberry jam
- 12 See’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Hearts
- sea salt, for topping
Ingredients for the Chocolate Sea Salt Butterchew® Bars:
For the Shortbread:
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of kosher salt
For the caramel center:
- 22 See’s Candies Butterscotch chew, unwrapped
- 7 See’s Candies Dark Butterchew, each sliced in 5 pieces
For the chocolate top:
- 1 – 16 ounce bag See’s Candies Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil
- flaky salt, for topping
Procedure for the Peanut Butter & Jelly Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two sheet trays with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together the coconut sugar, agave, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add the almond flour and stir until just combined.
- Beat in the peanut butter until the batter is evenly mixed. Swirl in the jam.
- Using a #20 scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop the batter in balls. Place them on the sheet trays, leaving at least 1 inch between each cookie. Gently flatten the cookies slightly, creating a divot in the center. Sprinkle the tops with salt.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, rotating the trays halfway through, until the edges have just begun to brown (these cookies are best slightly under-baked).
- Transfer the trays to a cooling rack and press a Dark Chocolate Peanut Heart in the middle of each cookie immediately.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before eating (they are even better on the second day).
- These will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Procedure for the Chocolate Sea Salt Butterchew® Bars:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 8 inch by 8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl stir together the almond flour, maple syrup, olive oil, vanilla and a pinch of salt until it resembles wet sand. Tip into the baking dish and use the bottom of a glass or your hands to firmly press the crust down, making it as even as possible.
- Using a fork, poke the crust all over (this is called docking) then transfer to the oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and arrange the Butterscotch chews in a single layer, leaving a tiny bit of space between each one. Put back in the oven for 6 to 7 minutes, until the chews have spread out to where they are just touching.
- Use an offset spatula or the back of a spoon to spread the chews into a single layer, touching the edges of the pan all the way around. Layer the Dark Butterchew slices over the top. Set aside.
- Set up a double boiler: pour 2 inches of water into a saucepot with a bowl set on top (make sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl) over medium heat. Pour the chocolate chips into the bowl and add the coconut oil. Leave, undisturbed, until the chocolate begins to melt around the edges of the bowl.
- Turn the heat off and stir the chocolate and coconut oil until completely smooth. Pour on top of the Butterchew layer and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle flaky salt over the top. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set. Cut in bars or squares before serving.
These will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.