Servings: 4 – 6
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 pound ground meat or mushrooms of your choice
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ¼ cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, parsley and oregano, divided
- 1 pound fresh lasagna noodles (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- olive oil, as needed
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for topping
- Place the Chef Pan or 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat with ½ tablespoon of oil (more if you are using mushrooms). Place the ground meat or mushrooms in the pan and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return the pan to the heat.
- Pour in about 1 tablespoon of oil followed by the onion, celery and carrot. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, then add the garlic and tomato paste. Stir continuously until the tomato paste coats the vegetables and the garlic is aromatic. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, using the spoon or spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan. Once the wine has been reduced by half stir in the crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth and 2 tablespoons of herbs. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed before pouring most of the sauce into a medium bowl, leaving a layer of sauce in the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of herbs into the ricotta cheese.
- Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles over the sauce, top with a layer of ground meat, sauce, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses. Repeat until all of the noodles have been used. Cover and return the pan to medium heat, cooking for 5 to 6 minutes. Alternatively, you can leave this uncovered and bake it in a 375°F oven for 10 minutes. Allow the lasagna to sit for 5 minutes before topping with freshly grated parmesan cheese and serving.