Servings: 8 pancakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 1 meyer lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen, thawed and liquid drained)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 ¾ cups 1% milk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pure maple syrup, warmed, for serving
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of meyer lemon juice and the honey. Using a spoon or a fork, lightly press the berries against the bottom and sides of the bowl to help release a little bit of juice. Set aside and allow the berries to macerate while making the pancake batter.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until evenly combined.
- In a separate medium bowl whisk together the milk, egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of meyer lemon zest, ensuring that the yolks are completely broken down and the mixture is smooth. Add the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- In a clean, large stainless steel bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form (they should be shiny and hold their shape well when you remove the whisk from the bowl). Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter, taking care to be as delicate as possible so you don’t lose any air bubbles. Gently fold in the blueberries along with any accumulated liquid.
- Heat a large nonstick or cast iron pan over medium heat; you may have to regulate your heat up and down slightly while cooking your pancakes to get the perfect golden brown color. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in the pan then scoop heaping 1/3-cup mounds of batter onto the pan, allowing about an inch of space in between each one. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the pancakes are risen and golden brown on the bottom, about 1 to 2 minutes longer.