Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 1.5 to 2lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced in 1-2 inch pieces (boneless skinless)
- 2 tbsp. Butter, or ghee
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, small to medium diced
- 2 inch nub fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 4 tsp. garam masala
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 1 (15 oz.) can of tomato sauce, or tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 5 mint leaves
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 lemon wedge
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, stirred
Ingredients for the Coconut Rice:
- 2 cup Jasmine rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- ⅓ cup coconut milk
- Zest of 1 lime
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2-4 pieces of naan bread
- torn cilantro (optional garnish)
- Start the coconut rice: in a medium saucepan, bring the water and coconut milk to a simmer.
- Rinse jasmine rice under cold water, stirring periodically, until the water runs clear.
- Add the rice to the simmering water and coconut milk. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on low for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, start the butter chicken: Place a large skillet or saute pan with a lid over medium high heat; add butter and melt until foamy. Add the garlic, onion, ginger and spices. Saute to toast the spices, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pan and saute until just browned.
- Add tomato sauce into the pan. Lower heat to medium-low and bring to a gentle simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- While the chicken is simmering, finish the coconut rice: Turn off the heat and let rice sit undisturbed, for at least 5 minutes. Uncover, add lime zest and salt, and fluff with a fork.
- Combine chopped mint with yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste, finish with a squeeze of lemon. Set aside.
- Toast naan bread in a dry pan or the oven until warm and crispy.
- To finish the chicken: Stir coconut milk into butter chicken until warmed through. Garnish with torn cilantro and minted yogurt. Serve with rice and toasted naan.