Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the tortillas
- 2 ½ cups (300 grams) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) Vermont Creamery Cultured Butter Unsalted, cubed, room temperature
- 1 cup (227 grams) hot water
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 ear sweet corn, husked
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 8 asparagus stalks, bottoms trimmed
- 1 small red bell pepper, quartered, seeds and ribs discarded
- 2 tablespoons Vermont Creamery Cultured Butter Unsalted, melted
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest and juice, as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 10.5 ounces Vermont Creamery Goat Cheese, crumbled
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lime wedges, for garnish
- Make the tortillas: In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Lightly toss the butter cubes in the flour before using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender to mix the butter into the flour until it is completely combined. Pour in half of the water and stir, adding more water as needed until all of the flour is just moistened and shaggy. Turn the dough onto the counter and knead for about 1 minute, until it forms a ball.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and cover with a clean towel or cling film and allow them to rest while you prepare the vegetables. The tortilla dough can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time and kept in the fridge. Bring the dough up to room temperature before rolling and cooking.
- To make the filling: Heat a grill to high heat- about 400°F.
- Place the corn, zucchini, asparagus and bell pepper on a tray in a single layer then drizzle the melted butter all over. Season with salt and pepper and toss to ensure that all of the vegetables are evenly coated. Put the corn on the hottest part of the grill and the zucchini around it. Grill for 7 to 8 minutes, rotating as needed to ensure that the corn is evenly charred and the zucchini is soft. Remove from the grill to a cutting board. Place the asparagus and bell pepper on the hot part of the grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, rotating as needed to ensure even cooking before placing them on the cutting board.
- Once the vegetables have cooled enough for you to handle, use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. Dice the zucchini, asparagus and bell pepper into pieces that are about the same size as the corn kernels. Put all of the vegetables in a medium bowl and stir in the lime zest, 1 ½ tablespoons of chopped cilantro and the crumbled goat cheese. Taste and season with salt, pepper and lime juice as needed.
- To finish the tortillas roll each ball into a circle that is about 8 inches in diameter, picking up the dough and rotating it to ensure that it stays as round as possible and doesn’t stick to the counter. Grill for 30 to 45 seconds on each side.
- To make the quesadillas arrange 4 of the tortillas on a tray. Spoon the filling over each of the tortillas, covering the whole tortilla. Top with a second tortilla before carefully transferring to a medium hot spot on the grill. Cook for 2 minutes before flipping. Cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- To serve, cut the quesadillas into wedges; garnish with the remaining chopped cilantro and lime wedges.