This Green Chile & White Bean Chicken Stew is a hearty and flavorful dish featuring tender white beans, julienned kale, and aromatic spices, all simmered to perfection in a savory broth.
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 25
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 2 cups julienned kale or tuscan kale
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic, and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add the diced red bell pepper and continue to sauté for another 3-4 minutes, until the pepper starts to soften. Stir in the ground cumin and chili powder, and cook for an additional minute, allowing the spices to become aromatic.
- Add chicken broth to pot and bring to a slow boil. Add chicken strips and simmer for 10 minutes. Using two forks, shred chicken strips into small pieces/
- Add one can of white beans to the pot, along with the diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- While the soup simmers, use a blender to puree the remaining can of white beans until smooth. This will add thickness and creaminess to the soup.
- After 10 minutes of simmering, add the pureed white beans and julienned kale to the pot. Stir well and let the soup simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the kale is tender.
- Season the soup with salt, black pepper, and lime juice to taste. Adjust the seasonings as needed. Serve the soup hot, garnished with fresh cilantro leaves and tortilla chips for added flavor and crunch