Servings: 8 sandwiches
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
- 4 pounds beef chuck roast, excess fat removed
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 small yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart (4 cups) beef stock
- 1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried celery seed
- 8 french rolls or baguette cut into 6-inch pieces
- 8 slices provolone cheese (optional)
- Hot mustard, for serving
- Brown the meat: Using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, warm the pot on the Saute function. Generously season all sides of the chuck roast with a couple pinches of salt and pepper while the pot heats up.
- When hot, add the beef to the pot and brown on all sides, 10 minutes. This step gives the beef and the Au Jus more depth of flavor. Transfer the beef to a plate.
- Saute the onions: Add another tablespoon of oil, if needed. Add the sliced onions and a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Saute them until they start to soften and become golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and continue sauteeing for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove about 1/3 of the sauteed onions and garlic to use later.
- Deglaze the pot: Add 1 cup of the beef stock and scrape the pot with a wooden spatula or spoon to release the browned bits from the bottom.
- To the pot, add the remaining stock, worcestershire sauce, bay, garlic and onion powder, thyme, rosemary, parsley, paprika, celery seed, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir together then place the seared beef back in the pot.
- Cook the meat on High Pressure for 50 minutes, plus 20 minutes slow pressure release. Alternatively, steps 1 through 5 can be done in a heavy-bottomed pot with a lid, such as a Dutch oven. With this cooking method, the cook time increases to 3 to 4 hours.
- When the meat is tender, remove from the pot and shred the beef into smaller pieces using two forks. Set aside.
- Reduce the Au Jus: Set the pressure cooker to the Saute function and continue reducing the Au Jus for 5 – 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To assemble the sandwiches: 20 minutes before serving, preheat the oven to 350F. Halve the rolls horizontally then add a couple spoonfuls of shredded beef to the bread, a spoonful of sauteed onions, and cover with the provolone (if using). Toast in the oven until the cheese is melted, then serve with a small cup of Au Jus, hot mustard, and plenty of napkins.