Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 34 OZ / 1000 ML chicken broth
- 2 OZ / 60 G butter, divided
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 OZ / 400 G Arborio rice
- 8.75 OZ / 250 G button mushrooms, finely chopped
- handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves striped and finely chopped
- 1 pinch chili powder
- juice from half a lemon (about 1 ½ tbsp)
- 3 OZ / 90 G Parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a pot. Reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Heat half of the butter in a medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic. Heat until fragrant, stirring frequently to prevent burning, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 ladle, or ½ cup, warm chicken broth at a time, stirring constantly. Do not add more broth until the previous broth has been absorbed by the rice. Repeat for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, parsley and thyme and continue to stir in liquid one ladle at a time. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked but not mushy. Turn off the heat.
- Season with chili powder and lemon juice. Stir in grated parmesan and remaining butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer the risotto to plates and serve.