Chermoula is an Moroccan relish, similar to the Brazilian chimichurri. This version is made with parsley, cilantro and spiced with harissa, the aromatic chili paste that can be found at most grocery stores. The bright, spicy chermoula is spooned over pan-seared ribeye and served with a side of parmesan sweet potato wedges, making for a steakhouse date-night at home.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1½” boneless ribeye steak
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Preheat your skillet. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the steak. Pat any excess moisture off of the steak with a paper towel. Coat your steak with oil, covering both sides and the edges. Season the steak with the salt and pepper on both surfaces and the edges.
- Cook. When your pan is smoking hot, I mean really hot, lay the steak in the center of the pan. Gently press on the steak to make sure there is good contact with the pan. Cook for 4 minutes, or 3 if using a 1” cut, then flip it over. Lightly press the steak into the pan again. Add the butter and clove of garlic to the pan and cook the steak for 4 more minutes (or 3 more minutes for a 1” steak), constantly spooning the melted butter over the top of the steak. Allow the steak to rest, lightly covered in foil, for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- 1 bunch italian parsley
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make the chermoula. Chop the bottom 2-3 inches of stems off of the parsley and cilantro. In a food processor combine the parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, rice vinegar, harissa, salt and chicken bouillon powder. Blend until combined and paste-like in consistency, scraping the bowl of the processor a couple of times to blend evenly. Empty the mixture into a bowl and stir in the olive oil.
Parmesan Sweet Potato Wedges
- 1 large or two small sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ c grated parmesan
- Zest of one lemon
- ¼ c chopped parsley
- Preheat your oven to 375º.
- Season the sweet potato. Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half into four even wedges. In a large bowl toss the potato wedges with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to coat.
- Cook. Transfer the seasoned wedges to a lined baking sheet and cook for 27 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the grated parmesan, lemon zest, and parsley.
- Season again. When they are finished cooking, put the potatoes back into the large bowl and toss with the parmesan mixture. Transfer to a serving dish, topping with the leftover parmesan mixture that’s fallen to the bottom of the bowl.