This savory budget-friendly meat loaf is just as good as classic meatloaf. Our diabetes-friendly version is made with lean ground turkey and is seasoned with fresh herbs and garlic. For a complete meal, serve with over roasted sweet potatoes (they can roast alongside the meatloaf in the oven) and a nonstarchy vegetable side or simple green salad.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 35 Min
Serving Size 1 slice
- 1 nonstick cooking spray
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 20 oz lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/2 cup ketchup (divided)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, break up the piece of whole wheat bread into pea-sized pieces. Add egg and mix well.
- Add turkey, garlic, oregano, basil, 1/4 cup ketchup, salt (optional) and ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Press the turkey mixture into the loaf pan tightly. Put in oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, whisk together remaining 1/4 cup of ketchup, balsamic vinegar and hot sauce (optional).
- After the meatloaf has baked for 20 minutes, pour the ketchup and balsamic glaze over the meatloaf. Return to the oven to bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf is 165 degrees F.
- Let the meatloaf rest for 10 minutes, then slice into 6 equal portions.
Easy Half-Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
1 (24-oz) bag fingerling potatoes (cut into 1-inch rounds with skin-on)
1 (16-oz) package frozen cauliflower florets
1/3 cup skim milk
5 tbsp Smart Balance margarine
1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add potatoes to a large soup pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower to pot, return to a boil, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower and return to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash mixture with a potato masher. Mix with an electric mixer on low-speed for about 1 minute.