Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- large flake finishing salt for serving (optional)
- 2 lb skirt or flank steak, trimmed
- 4 tsp vegetable oil, divided
Chimichurri: (makes 1 cup)
- ¾ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- ¼ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp packed fresh oregano leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice from half a lemon (2 tbsp)
- 1 bunch fingerling potatoes, halved (about 1 lb)
- 1 small bunch asparagus, trimmed (about 12 oz)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the Steak: place the steak on a plate and dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- For the Chimichurri: Finely mince the parsley, cilantro and oregano leaves. Add to a bowl. Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Preheat oven to 425°F.
- For the Vegetables: On a large cutting board, toss the potatoes and asparagus with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Evenly spread out JUST the potatoes over a large baking tray and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and push potatoes to one half of the pan. Evenly spread the asparagus on the open half and return to the oven. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- To finish the steak, heat half the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the steak and cook each side until golden brown and it reaches at least 145°F (about 4-6 minutes per side). Transfer to a cutting board and repeat with remaining oil and steak. Let meat rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cut steak against the grain into slices of desired thickness. Serve with vegetables, chimichurri and a sprinkling of finishing salt. Enjoy!