Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
15 minutes active (up to 24 hours fermenting)
Calories 199, Carbs 37 grams, Fat 4.5 grams, Protein 6 grams
- 340 grams (3 cups) white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 43 grams (2 tablespoons) honey
- 25 grams (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 198 grams to 226 grams (approximately 1 – 1 ¼ cups) lukewarm water
This recipe makes 1 large (approx 12-inch) pizza.
- In a large mixing bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) stir together the flour, yeast, salt, honey, olive oil and the smaller amount of water until a shaggy dough forms. Cover and allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes (this gives the flour time to absorb the moisture).
- Turn the dough out onto the counter top and begin kneading, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time if needed. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until it forms a smooth ball and it feels like it has some elasticity to it. (If you’re using a stand mixer, knead with the dough hook for 5 to 6 minutes.)
- Transfer the ball of dough to a lightly oiled bowl or proofing container, cover and allow it to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Refrigerate the dough overnight or up to 24 hours (for maximum flavor).
- Let the dough come to room temperature before rolling out.