White Bean Cheeseburger with Baked Avocado Fries
Calories 620, Carbs 80 grams, Fat 23 grams, Protein 26 grams
Ingredients for the White Bean Cheeseburger
- 20 ounces canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 2 pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
- 2 slices provolone
- 1/3 cup arugula
Ingredients for the Sauce
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
Ingredients for the Avocado Fries
- 2-3 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced into 3 strips
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (or gluten free cup 4 cup)
- 1/2 cup 1% milk (or any dairy alternative)
- 1 cup whole wheat panko (or gluten free crackers crushed into crumbs)
- In a large mixing bowl or food processor combine the white beans, cumin, bread crumbs, egg, salt, and pepper. Mash together lightly, just enough to be able to form the patties, but try to leave a bit of texture in the beans.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium high heat and pour in the oil. Once the oil is hot and shimmering, place each patty in and sear on the first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and sear the other side, about 3 minutes more.
- Make the sauce by stirring together the garlic, lime juice, zest, red pepper flakes, salt and yogurt.
- Remove the patties from the pan and quickly toast the buns on the cut sides in the same pan.
- Chop up the chilis and set a small amount on the top of each patty. Cover the chilis with the cheese.
- Spread both toasted sides of the buns with the sauce and place a patty on the bottom bun. Top with arugula followed by the top bun.
Directions for the Avocado Fries
- Preheat the oven to 420°F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Set up a 3 part dredging station: combine the garlic, paprika, salt, and flour in a shallow dish, milk in a separate dish and the panko spread out on a third dish.
- Coat each avocado slice in flour, dip in the milk and then dip or sprinkle the breadcrumbs over each slice, pressing down lightly until the crumbs stick. Transfer to the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden.