Calories 534, Carbs 62 grams, Fat 24 grams, Protein 20 grams
- 7 cups low sodium or homemade vegetable broth
- 1 ounce (about 15 each) dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 8 ounces wild or cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 10 ounces baby spinach, washed
- 2 bunches broccolini (or broccoli), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 16 ounces fresh ramen noodles, if available or shirataki noodles
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 3 teaspoons chili paste sauce (sambal), less if you don’t want it spicy
- vegetable, grapeseed or other neutral flavored oil
- 4 each 7 minute eggs, peeled and sliced in half (optional)
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias (optional)
- seaweed flakes or furikake (optional)
- In a large saucepan on medium high heat bring the vegetable broth and dried shiitakes to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat until it’s gently simmering. Allow to simmer while you prepare everything else.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat pour in about 1 tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the sliced onions and sauté until the edges just begin to brown, approximately 4 minutes. Stir in the carrots and broccolini and saute, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the carrots just begin to soften and the broccolini begins to brown. Remove to a plate or cutting board.
- In the same skillet add the cremini mushrooms and cook until brown, adding more oil as needed. Once the mushrooms have browned and begun to shrink add the garlic and spinach and cook just until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat and set aside. Remove to the plate or cutting board with the onions and carrots.
- Remove the shiitake mushrooms from the broth and thinly slice them, discarding the stems. Add the sliced shiitakes to the cremini mushrooms.
- To season the broth: stir in the soy sauce, white miso paste and sambal. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Dunk the noodles in the broth to heat through, using a spider, slotted spoon or tongs to remove.
- To serve: Divide noodles among four bowls. Top with vegetables, one egg cut in half per bowl and scallions. Ladle the broth over the noodles and top with seaweed flakes or furikake.