Vegan Chocolate Lava Cakes
Calories 200, Carbs 27 grams, Fat 9 grams, Protein 2 grams
- 1/4 cup oat milk (or other dairy milk alternative)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 squares good quality vegan dark chocolate, broken into 8 pieces
- coconut whipped cream, for topping (optional)
- Spray 4 cups of a muffin tin or ramekins with cooking spray and coat with cocoa powder; shake out any excess. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl stir together the oat milk and vinegar. Add the agave, oil, vanilla, and applesauce and beat until foamy. Stir in the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain then fold in the melted chocolate.
- Divide the batter evenly into four of the muffin cups, leaving an empty cup between each filled one or into the ramekins sitting on a sheet tray. Push one piece of dark chocolate down into the centers of the cakes then use a spoon to cover the chocolate with the batter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the edges have pulled away slightly and the top no longer appears wet.
- Allow the cakes to rest in the pan for 4 to 5. To plate, gently loosen the edges with a butter knife, top with a cutting board or plate and carefully invert. Gently transfer to serving plates.
- Immediately top each cake with the remaining pieces of dark chocolate and serve with coconut whipped cream, if desired.