Turkey Chili & Skillet Cornbread
The coziest chili and caraway cornbread. Perfect for when you wish warm weather was closer, but there’s still a way to go. This chili comes together in less than 45 minutes with a skillet-baked cornbread you’ll be sneaking bites of long after dinner.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 small yellow onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper, any color (diced)
- 1 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Add cooking spray to a stock pot over high heat. Add the turkey and sauté until just cooked through, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or package in freezer bags in one cup increments for up to 3 months.
Skillet Caraway Cornbread
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp vegetable oil (divided)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small, dry skillet, toast the caraway seeds over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, just until lightly browned and fragrant; set aside. When the oven is hot, add 2 tsp. of the vegetable oil to a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. Heat the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and caraway seeds.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk. Add the buttermilk, honey, and the 1/4 cup vegetable oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Carefully add the batter to the hot skillet and bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until the cornbread is cooked through and a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cornbread cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 16 same-sized wedges and serve warm.