Tomato Soup with Crunchy Seed Topping
Calories 420, Carbs 35 grams, Fat 26 grams, Protein 17 grams
Ingredients for the Tomato Soup
- 2 pounds vine ripe tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion, peeled and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 sprigs thyme, stems removed
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh black pepper
- ½ to 1 cup of water
- 1 – 14.5 oz can low sodium white beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Ingredients for Crunchy Seed Topping
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions for Tomato Soup
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut-side up on the baking sheet. Add the onion halves and garlic cloves. Sprinkle on the thyme leaves and drizzle everything with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and the onion is charred.
- In a large sauce pan or small dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium low heat. Add in the tomato paste and cook, stirring regularly, until very aromatic and darkened in color, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour in the roasted tomatoes and onions, followed by the vinegar and scrape the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits. Stir in the white beans and season with fresh ground black pepper and salt. Bring to a boil then lower the heat.
- Using an immersion blender (or carefully transferring to a blender), blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To serve the soup, ladle into bowls and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the crunchy seed topping.
- **When blending hot ingredients, it is important to create a way for the steam to escape while blending. This prevents pressure from building up and the hot liquid from exploding when removing the lid. Use a clean kitchen towel that has been folded over and place it over the open area. The towel may get dirty but you will stay safe in the kitchen.
Directions for Crunchy Seed Topping
- In a small bowl stir together all of the seeds, nutritional yeast, salt and olive oil.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.