Everything you love about Tikka Masala but in hand-held form! Learn all the insider tips for knocking out a delicious chicken tikka masala at light speed. We’ll also whip up a curry aioli that brings this magical sand-naan-wich to the next level.
Start to finish: 45 minutes
- 1 pound of chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Tikka masala sauce:
- 2 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (cut back or omit if you don’t like heat)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
For the naanwich:
- Naan (sandwich size is best for these)
- Cucumber, medium dice
- Cilantro, leaves or chopped
- Trim the chicken of any fat and skin and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. Stir in the chicken pieces and marinate them for 15 minutes.
- Drain the chicken well.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet to medium high. Add a tablespoon of ghee, followed by the chicken pieces. Sauté them on each side for 3 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium low, and, using tongs or a spoon, place the pieces in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the second tablespoon of ghee to the pan, followed by the onion, ginger, garlic, spices, and salt. Sauté the ingredients for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Combine the almond milk, tomato puree and maple syrup or honey. Pour the liquid over the onion mixture and simmer, stirring periodically, for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, return the chicken pieces to the pan, and simmer for another few minutes. Turn off the heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the aioli ingredients and mix well.
- Toast the naan either in a 400-degree oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or in a toaster.
- Smear some curry aioli on the naan, and top it with the desired amount of chicken tikka masala, cucumber and cilantro.