Thai Chicken Fried Rice
Calories 494, Carbs 63 grams, Fat 10 grams, Protein 37 grams
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cold, cooked brown rice (preferably day old)
- 1 large egg, scrambled
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced, whites and dark green parts separated
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- kosher salt, to taste
- avocado or canola oil, as needed
- Thai basil, torn, for garnish (or mint and basil combined)
- fresh cilantro, torn, for garnish
- lime wedges (optional)
Chilies in Fish Sauce (Prik Nam Pla)
- 1 – 5 Thai chilies, thinly sliced (1 for mild, 5 for really spicy)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- juice from 1 lime
- Heat a wok or large saute pan and approximately 1 tablespoon of oil over high heat. Once the oil is shimmering add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and fry for 1 minute or so, until the edges begin to change color.
- Add 2 cups of the rice to the pan and stir, allowing the rice to soak up the juices from the chicken. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Push all the rice to one side of the pan and add the scrambled egg, stirring until the egg is just set. Stir the egg into the rice and chicken.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of rice along with the tamari. Stir until everything is combined.
- Stir in the onion and white part of the scallions and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, followed by the tomatoes and peas. Cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the tomatoes and peas are just warmed through. Remove from the heat.
- For the Chilies in Fish Sauce: In a small bowl combine the thai chilies, fish sauce and lime juice.
- Plate the rice and garnish with the dark green parts of the scallions, Thai basil, cilantro and lime wedges. Serve the chilies in fish sauce on the side.