All the crunchy deliciousness of taquitos, minus the splattery drama of the deep fryer. Nestle these crispy friends next to a cilantro lime chopped salad that’s tasty enough to stand alone. Join us tonight for this easy weeknight winner.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Serving Size: 2 taquitos
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup 2% Mexican-style cheese blend (shredded)
- 1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
- 8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 cup lettuce (shredded)
- 1/2 cup prepared guacamole
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.
- Lay the chicken breasts on the prepared sheet pan. Sprinkle the chicken with the spice mixture. Roast the chicken in the oven for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees F. Set it aside to cool slightly. Keep the oven on and coat a clean baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Once the chicken has rested and cooled slightly, shred the chicken meat and add it to a medium bowl. Add the cheese and refried beans and mix well.
- Place the corn tortillas in between two damp paper towels. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Fill each corn tortilla with 1/4 cup chicken filling and roll tightly. Lay seam side down on the prepared baking sheet. Once all the taquitos are on the baking sheet, lightly spray each one with cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tortillas are crispy.
- Serve two taquitos with 1/4 cup shredded lettuce, 2 Tbsp. guacamole and 1/4 cup diced tomatoes.
Chopped Mexican Salad
This fresh chopped salad is full of color! A citrus marinade drizzled over the vegetables brings them to life. Serve this salad as a lovely side dish or as an entree.
Prep Time: 15 min
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 6 cup romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 15 oz black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup jicama (peeled and chopped)
- 1 (15-oz) can corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded, and diced)
- 2 ripe avocados (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat monterey jack cheese
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together lime juice, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and honey. Dressing is best served at room temperature.
- Spread lettuce evenly across a large serving platter. Arrange beans, jicama, corn, bell pepper, and avocados side by side on top of lettuce. Garnish with cheese. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 1 hour. Drizzle with dressing before serving.