Tahini Satay with Green Papaya Salad
Tender smoky satay should be part of your regular rotation, easy, fun, and on a stick!. We’ve paired it a fresh green papaya salad that will leave you feeling like summer just got a little bit closer.
In this recipe, tender cubes of marinated veal are cooked on a hot grill and served with a sweet and nutty tahini sauce. The green papaya salad is tart, crunchy, spicy, and refreshing and contrasts the sweet savoriness of the veal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes active, plus 3-5 hours to marinate
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 pounds veal steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice of one lemon
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water
Tahini Satay Sauce
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- Marinate the veal. Combine the vegetable oil, brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, and lemon. Place the cubes of veal in a shallow container or ziplock bag and cover with the marinade. Refrigerate, allow veal to marinate for 3-5 hours before grilling.
- Make the satay sauce. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the tahini, sesame oil, soy sauce, coconut milk, honey, lemon juice, and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Cook the veal satay. Preheat the grill to high heat. Thread the cubes of meat onto the wooden skewers so that the pieces are touching; this will make sure they don’t dry out while grilling. Grill for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through.
Lemony Papaya Salad
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red curry paste
- Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced into thirds
- 1 small Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 an apple, peeled and sliced into matchstick-size pieces 1⁄3 cup Thai basil, thinly sliced
- 2 cups peeled, shredded green papaya
- 1⁄3 c honey roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Prep your ingredients. Slice, peel, and shred all the herbs and veggies
- Make the dressing. In a large mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, curry paste, and whisk to combine.
- Mix the salad. Add the other ingredients and toss to combine. If desired, top with more chopped roasted peanuts.