Healthyish Steak & Potatoes
Old school cravings get whipped into a new school healthy weeknight dinner. Creamy mashed potatoes with some sly veggies satisfy all your winter “are we there yet” feelings. Pick up the inside scoop on healthy cuts and easy ways to add big flavor.
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time:25 min
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 2 sweet onion (peeled and halved, thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lbs lean strip steak
- Sprinkle the steak with the salt and pepper.
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp of the oil in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the steak and sear for about 3 minutes. Turn the steak over, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or longer as desired for doneness. Remove the steak from the pan and keep it warm.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the onions and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the water, thyme, and brown sugar, cover the pan, and simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are very soft.
- Slice the steak. Serve the slices covered with the onions.
Easy Half-Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
- 1 (24-oz) bag fingerling potatoes (cut into 1-inch rounds with skin-on)
- 1 (16-oz) package frozen cauliflower florets
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 5 tbsp Smart Balance margarine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add potatoes to a large soup pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower to pot, return to a boil, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cauliflower and return to pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash mixture with a potato masher. Mix with an electric mixer on low-speed for about 1 minute.