Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cakes
Servings: 6 cakes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
1 cup diced rhubarb (about 1 stalk)
1 cup diced strawberries (about 6 large strawberries)
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons blood orange zest, divided
1 cup all purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
½ cup fine cornmeal
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
4 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Non-stick jumbo muffin tin
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Equally divide the melted butter into the 6 jumbo muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of blood orange zest and 1 tablespoon of flour. Divide equally into the bottoms of the muffin tins, over the melted butter.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup all purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the ¾ cup of unsalted butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the whole eggs and egg yolks one at a time, being sure to scrape the bowl between each addition. Beat in the remaining teaspoon of blood orange zest and vanilla extract.
- With the stand mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients a little at a time until just incorporated, being sure not to overmix.
- Use a portion scoop to equally divide the batter amongst the jumbo muffin cups, about ⅓ cup of batter per cake.
- Smooth out the tops of the batter and then place into the oven to bake.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the cakes are cooked through and the center springs back slightly to the touch. If the tops begin to brown too quickly, lightly place a piece of aluminum foil over the tops for the remainder of the bake.
- When finished, remove from the oven and let rest for 2 minutes. Place a baking sheet or cutting board over the top of the muffin pan and carefully flip the pan over, releasing the cakes onto the baking sheet.
- Serve warm or cooled.