Spinach Stuffed Gnocchi
Gnocchi are an easy pasta dumpling that makes great use of extra potatoes lying around. They’re filling enough to serve as a meal on their own but also pair perfectly with your favorite protein or salad. Don’t overmix the dough or the gnocchi will be tough. Serve with a dusting of fresh grated Parmesan.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 17.5 OZ / 500 ML water
- 10.5 OZ / 300 G yukon gold potatoes
- 5.5 OZ / 150 G 00 flour
- 1 EA egg
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 OZ / 30 G grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 PINCH nutmeg
- 3.5 OZ / 100 G spinach
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 OZ / 20 G olive oil (divided)
- 3.5 OZ / 100 G cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp pepper
- Semolina flour for dusting
- Fit a steamer basket into a large pot with the water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into chunks. Add to the basket and cover. Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes. Remove the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool.
- Add the 00 flour, egg, 1 tsp salt, grated cheese and nutmeg to the cooled potatoes. Gently mix until a dough forms. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes. TIP: You are looking for a fairly dry dough for this.
- Prepare the spinach by picking the leaves off the stem. Mince the garlic.
- Heat half the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the spinach and garlic.
- Sauté until spinach is wilted and garlic is fragrant, about 7 minutes. Transfer spinach to a mixing bowl and let it cool.
- Mix in the cream cheese until combined. Season with the remaining salt and pepper. Remove the filling and place in a piping bag.
- Portion the gnocchi dough into 6. Roll each piece into a cylinder. Using extra flour, press out each cylinder to a rectangle roughly 6×2 inches. Pipe the filling into the center, leaving ½ inch dough exposed at each end. Roll up and lightly pinch to seal. Cut into 1 inch pieces then roll in semolina flour.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook your gnocchi for 2 minutes per side until they are golden and crispy. Enjoy your dish!