Spicy Mushroom & Fontina Pizza
Calories 265, Carbs 39 grams, Fat 9 grams, Protein 11 grams
For the Arrabbiata Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tablespoon low sodium tomato paste
- 1 – 28 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 pound wild mushrooms, torn or sliced in ¼ inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion, sliced in thin half moons
- sliced pepperoncinis, to taste
- 1 recipe Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- Preheat the oven, with a pizza stone or steel on the top rack, to 500°F or as high as your oven will go. If you don’t have a pizza stone or steel then place a 12 inch cast iron pan upside down on the top rack.
- To make the Arrabbiata Sauce: In a large saucepot on medium temperature, heat the olive oil until it shimmers. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until just beginning to toast, approximately 30 seconds. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until a dark maroon color, approximately 2 minutes. Carefully stir in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Allow it to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until reduced by at least one third. Before using, stir in the basil, oregano and a few generous pinches of salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Lightly flour the counter and turn the pizza dough out of the bowl (let gravity do its job and don’t use your hands to scoop it out). Using a bench scraper or knife divide dough in half. Cover one of them with the bowl while you roll out the other. Gently shape the dough into a circle then roll out to ¼ inch thickness, rotating as you go to ensure a round shape. Transfer to a piece of parchment, a pizza peel or cutting board dusted with cornmeal; roll out the other piece of dough and transfer to a separate piece of parchment paper. If you’re using cornmeal, give the pizza peel or board a good shake to make sure the dough will easily slide off before you build the pizza.
- Place ¼ cup of arrabbiata sauce in the center of the dough and use the back of a spoon or ladle to spread the sauce evenly to the edge of the dough (you can leave a rim around the edge if you’d like). Sprinkle the fontina evenly over the sauce followed by the mushrooms, red onion and pepperoncinis. Sprinkle a little more fontina over the top and transfer to the oven. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on your oven. Let the pizza sit for a few minutes before slicing.