Spiced Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
2 hours 5 minutes
Calories 342, Carbs 52 grams, Fat 12 grams, Protein 9 grams
Ingredients for the dough
- 1 ¼ cups (284 grams) water, 95°F – 105°F
- 4 teaspoons (16 grams) instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons (42.5 grams) honey
- 4 cups (454 grams) white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons (42 grams) potato flour (optional, but it helps to make the rolls more tender)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons (28 grams) nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) butter, melted
Ingredients for the filling
- 3/4 cup (169 grams) coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 egg whites (70 grams/2 ½ ounces)
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup full fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For the dough: To the warm water whisk in the yeast and honey. Let stand for 5 minutes, until the yeast begins to foam.
- To a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, potato flour (if using), salt, milk powder, beaten eggs, melted ghee and the yeast mixture. Start with the mixer running on low and gradually increase the speed to medium as the dough starts to come together.
- Change to the dough hook and allow the stand mixer to knead the dough for 5 – 7 minutes.
- When the dough is smooth and elastic, transfer it to a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap. Place it in a warm, draft free spot and allow it to proof for 1 hour or until almost doubled in size.
- For the filling: In a medium bowl stir together the sugar, spices and salt.
- Lightly flour the counter top androll the dough out to a rectangle roughly 24 inches by 15 inches and 1/4 inch thick. With the long side of the rectangle facing towards you, brush the egg whites over the surface of the dough then sprinkle the filling evenly over it, being sure to get it to all of the edges.
- Starting at the side closest to you, begin to roll the dough up, taking care to keep the dough relatively tight to create nice spirals.
- Cut the rolls into 12 equal pieces about 2 inches in width and place in a lightly greased 9 by 13 inch casserole dish. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm place until rolls have rested and the dough is supple, about 35 to 45 minutes.
- While the rolls are resting, preheat the oven to 375°F. Once the oven is preheated and the rolls are marshmallow-y soft to the touch, place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the cinnamon rolls are lightly golden brown and the centers are cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cream cheese frosting: add the cream cheese and yogurt to a large bowl and beat using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Pour in the maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- Allow the rolls to cool for at least 5 minutes before frosting.