Calories 186, Carbs 39 grams, Fat 4 grams, Protein 3 grams
- 10 whole grain graham crackers (give or take a few)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (natural or Dutch-process)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) almond flour
- 1 -10 ounce bag large marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 8×8-inch pan (or 9×13, but the brownies will be thinner) with parchment or foil.
- Place the graham crackers in the bottom of the pan. Feel free to break them into pieces and fit them in like a puzzle to ensure there are as few gaps as possible.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the applesauce, coconut sugar and cocoa powder. Add the salt and vanilla and mix.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing the first egg in completely before adding the second egg.
- Fold in the flour, mixing just until the flour is completely incorporated (this ensures a tender brownie).
- Carefully spread the batter evenly over the graham crackers. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out relatively clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool for at least 5 minutes then top with marshmallows. You can enjoy as is or, if you want the campfire effect, use a kitchen torch to toast the marshmallows. Alternatively, you can turn your broiler on high and toast the marshmallows under the broiler, just ensure that you have removed the parchment paper and keep a close eye on the marshmallows when under the broiler; it should only take 1 or 2 minutes. Cut into 16 squares-these will be gooey and messy, as any good s’more is-and enjoy.