A rich pot of instant comfort that only tastes better if it’s made the day before. White wine is used so that the delicate flavor of the veal isn’t overpowered. Whole milk adds a subtle richness and creaminess to the sauce. Cooking in a pressure cooker means there won’t be a pot cooking on top of the stove for hours. This recipe is a great way to use veal stew meat and an easy way to feed a crowd.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 lb veal stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ¾ cup beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus the cheese rind (optional)
- 1 lb dried pappardelle pasta
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Pat the veal cubes dry with a paper towel. Heat half the oil in a large sized sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the cubes and sear until deeply browned on all sides. Do in multiple batches, so as not to overcrowd the pan. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to the pot of a pressure cooker.
- Carefully add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the carrots, celery and onion. Cook until the vegetables have started to soften and get golden brown (6-8 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carefully pour the wine in and cook for 2 minutes scraping the bottom of the pan to release any bits stuck to the bottom.
- Pour the mixture in with the beef. Stir in the tomatoes, milk, broth, bay leaf and parmesan rind (if using). Lock on the lid and pressure cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Release the pressure and open the lid. Remove bay leaf and shred the meat. Switch to sauté and cook on high for 5 minutes to reduce the sauce while the pasta is prepared. Season to taste with salt and pepper and turn off heat.
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and add to a large serving bowl.
- Toss pasta with sauce and cheese. Enjoy!