Pasta al Limone
Calories 250, Carbs 28 grams, Fat 11 grams, Protein 8 grams
- 12 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or gluten free pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (or mushrooms, spinach or squash)
- 1 whole lemon, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally until al dente (it should have a little chew to it). Drain, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water then toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil to keep the noodles from sticking together.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the asparagus and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until it is bright green. Turn the heat to low and add the lemon zest and juice, ¼ cup of the pasta water and ⅓ of the parmesan cheese. Stir until the parmesan melts and the sauce begins to emulsify.
- Add the pasta to the pan and use tongs to toss to combine, adding the rest of the parmesan cheese in thirds. If the sauce is too thick, add more of the pasta water until it just coats the noodles.
- Divide into 4 bowls and garnish with freshly ground black pepper.