Moroccan Fish & Farro Salad
Ingredients for the fish:
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 Mina preserved lemon, pulp finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mina harissa
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup Mina extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 2 small red or gold potatoes, peeled and sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 2 pounds whitefish or salmon fillets
- 4 ounces pitted green or purple Beldi olives
- 1/2 lemon, sliced for garnish
Ingredients for the farro salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking farro (or farro that has been soaked in water for 6 hours)
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon Mina harissa
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons Mina extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas (if canned, drained and rinsed)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (stems and leaves)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the fish: In a small bowl stir together the spices, garlic, cilantro, parsley, preserved lemon, harissa, water and olive oil until well combined.
- Arrange the chopped carrots, potatoes and bell peppers in a large casserole or baking dish followed by the fish fillets. Pour the sauce evenly over everything then scatter the olives over the top.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- To make the farro salad: Bring the water and salt up to a boil in a medium sauce pot. Stir in the farro and cook for 10 minutes or, if using soaked farro, cook for 30 to 35 minutes until toothsome. Drain any excess water and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon zest, juice, harissa and cardamom. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking non-stop, until everything is combined. Taste and adjust seasoning with more harissa, lemon juice or olive oil as needed.
- Combine the chickpeas, scallions, dates, almonds and cilantro with the farro until well mixed. Pour in the dressing and fold until combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- To finish, garnish the fish with the sliced lemons and serve alongside the farro salad.