Maple Apple Crisp
Calories 430, Carbs 65.8 grams, Fat 17.5 grams, Protein 5 grams
For the crust
- 110 grams (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon) all purpose flour
- 115 grams (1 cup minus 1 tablespoon) white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 170 grams (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cubed, cold
- 140 grams (½ cup plus 2 tablespoons) ice cold water, more as needed
For the filling
- 7 to 8 medium apples (mixed Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, Granny Smith, Jazz), cut in ¼ inch (5 mm) slices
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 30 grams (¼ cup) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly grated nutmeg (approximately ½ teaspoon)
For the crisp
- 90 grams (¾ cup) white whole wheat flour
- 68 grams (¾ cup) quick-cooking oats
- 140 grams (⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons) coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 76 grams (⅓ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- To make the crust: In a large bowl stir together both flours and the salt. Add the cubed butter pieces and toss to coat them in the flour. Using your fingers, a pastry cutter or two forks, flake or cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles cornflakes (if using your fingers) or chunky wet sand.
- Slowly mix in half of the water, adding a little more at a time until the dough just holds together when you squeeze a handful of it (the edges will be craggly but it still holds together). Turn out onto the counter and, using a bench scraper, fold it over itself a few times. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or overnight.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl stir together all of the ingredients for the filling. Set aside.
- To make the crumble topping: In a medium bowl stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar and ginger. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and stir until everything is combined.
- To build the pie: Preheat the oven to 400°F.Lightly flour the counter top. Roll out the pie crust into a circle that is 3 inches larger than your pie pan. Make sure you are rotating your dough every couple of rolls to keep it in the round shape. Transfer the dough to a 9 inch pie pan and use your thumb or knuckles to carefully press it into the bottom seam. Crimp the edges in your preferred way.
- Mound the apples in the crust (it’s okay if it seems like too much as the apples will cook down quite a bit). Sprinkle the crumble over the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes before lowering the temperature to 350°F. Bake for an additional 40 minutes or until the apples are soft and the topping is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool to room temperature before serving.