Korean Seafood Pancake
Calories 296, Carbs 40 grams, Fat 9 grams, Protein 18 grams
Ingredients for the pancakes:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 ½ cups cold water
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, halved lengthwise (you can use any seafood you like; we like to split this 50/50 with shrimp and smoked oysters)
- 4 scallions, cut in 1 ½ inch long pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
Ingredients for the scallion dipping sauce:
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gochujang (Korean fermented red pepper paste)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- To make the pancakes in a large bowl whisk the flours and salt until evenly combined. Pour in the water and whisk just until all of the flour is incorporated. Allow the batter to rest while you make the dipping sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce whisk together all of the ingredients except the scallions in a small bowl until emulsified. Stir in the scallions. Alternatively, you can combine all of the ingredients in a glass jar with a lid and shake to combine.
- To finish the pancakes fold in the seafood and scallions. Heat a bit of oil in a 9 inch non-stick sauté pan. Once the oil is hot pour in approximately ½ cup of the batter into the pan, making sure to have an even distribution of the shrimp and scallions. Swirl the pan around to spread the batter to the edge and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the top batter has turned opaque and the bottom side is spotty brown. Flip and cook for further 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack or plate.
- Repeat until all the batter is used.
- Serve warm with the dipping sauce.