Korean Fried Chicken
Calories 277, Carbs 23 grams, Fat 11 grams, Protein 20 grams
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 1 ¼ tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or ½ teaspoon ginger powder)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup potato or corn starch
- kosher salt, as needed
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- avocado or grapeseed oil, for cooking
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium tamari
- 1 tablespoon no salt added tomato sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon gochujang (Korean chili paste)
Ingredients for serving:
- toasted sesame seeds
- thinly sliced scallions
- Heat approximately ½ inch of oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat until it’s hot.
- In a medium bowl stir together the vinegar, ginger, a generous pinch of salt and black pepper. Place the chicken in and toss to combine.
- Pour the potato or corn starch onto a plate or in a bowl. One at a time, dredge the chicken in the starch until it is evenly coated.
- Place a rack on top of a sheet tray or line a plate with paper towels.
- Once the oil is hot carefully lay the chicken into the pan, working in batches if necessary to prevent overcrowding. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly golden brown, before flipping and cooking the other side for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s lightly golden. Transfer to the rack, scoop out any debris in the pan with a slotted spoon or spider and allow the oil to heat up again.
- Cook each piece of chicken again for an additional 2 or 3 minutes on each side, until it’s a dark golden brown. Transfer to the rack.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce by combining all of the ingredients in a small saucepot over medium heat. Stir to combine and cook until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with the cooked chicken until evenly coated.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and/or scallions.