Jerk Chicken & Coconut Rice
Calories 345, Carbs 30 grams, Fat 14 grams, Protein 28 grams
Ingredients for the chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 – 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 scotch bonnet or habanero chili peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 2 pounds (6 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Ingredients for the coconut rice
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut water (or plain water)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup basmati or jasmine rice, rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can low sodium butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut, toasted
- 1 small lime, zest and juice
- freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- To make the marinade: place all of the ingredients except for the chicken in a blender or food processor and blend on high speed until smooth. Set aside ¼ cup of the marinade for dipping. Place the chicken in a zip top bag or baking dish and cover with the remaining marinade, making sure that the marinade is evenly coating all of the chicken pieces.
- Allow to sit at room temperature while you prepare the rice. Alternatively, you can refrigerate this for up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
- To make the rice: bring the coconut milk, coconut water and salt to a boil in a medium sauce pot. Stir in the rice, beans, toasted coconut and lime zest, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Remove from the heat but leave covered while you cook the chicken.
- To finish the chicken: heat a grill pan or large skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot add the chicken (discarding any leftover marinade), beginning closest to you and laying away from you and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until crisped and browned. Flip and cook for 5 to 6 more minutes until browned and the internal temperature with a probe thermometer is 165°F. (If you are cooking your chicken straight from the refrigerator, add 5 to 6 minutes of cooking time and lower the heat to medium.)
- Remove from the pan and transfer to a plate or cutting board, cover with foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover from the rice and fluff with a fork. Taste and add lime juice and salt as needed. Serve the chicken with the rice, garnished with cilantro if using, and dipping sauce.