Calories 640, Carbs 50 grams, Fat 20 grams, Protein 45 grams
Ingredients for the jambalaya:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound smoked andouille sausage, cut into ¼ inch pieces (reduced from ½ pound)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large celery stalks (with their leaves), diced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons no salt added tomato paste
- 1 – 14.5 ounce can no salt added crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes in their juice
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup long grain brown rice (reduced from 1 cup)
- 1 bunch scallions (5 – 6 each), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped, for garnish
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, such as Tabasco, for serving (optional)
Ingredients for the salad:
- 6 cups tender lettuces, such as spring mix, oak leaf or butter
- 1 English cucumber, sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pecans, roughly chopped (or your favorite nut)
- 1 tablespoon dried blueberries
- 1 celery stalk, with leaves, sliced in ¼ inch half moons
- 2 ounce soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- On the cutting board or in a mixing bowl season the chicken pieces with chili powder, cayenne, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- In a 4.25 quart saute pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium. When the oil is hot and shimmering add the seasoned chicken pieces and andouille sausage. Cook until golden brown on all sides then remove from the pot, leaving all the fat and seasonings in the pot.
- Still over medium heat add the holy trinity: onion, celery and bell pepper and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
- Drop in the tomato paste, stir and cook until the color deepens, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes (or diced tomatoes and their juices) along with the chicken stock and rice. Stir to combine, turn the heat up to high until the mixture comes to a boil then lower to low heat.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 20 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To make the salad: In a large bowl combine the lettuces, cucumber, pecans, blueberries and celery; season with salt and pepper to taste. In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar and mustard then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad and toss until everything is evenly coated, adding more dressing as needed. Divide amongst four bowls and garnish with the crumbled goat cheese.
- Spoon the jambalaya into a bowl and sprinkle with scallions and Italian parsley over the top. Serve with Tabasco.