Easy, not intimidating. This whole fish recipe will have you wondering what you were so scared of, while bright slaw and island flavors will get you into vacation mode for the weekend. Join us tonight!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the Dry Seasoning
- 3⁄4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
For the fish
- 1 whole red snapper, scaled and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 thin slices of lemon
- 3 sprigs of cilantro
- 5 1⁄2 inch rings of bell pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Season the fish. In a small bowl, mix the dry seasoning together. Reserve one tablespoon of the seasoning for the salsa verde. With a sharp knife, score the fish 3 times on both sides. Rub the olive oil all over the fish, inside and out. Rub the dry seasoning all over the fish inside and out as well. Stu the the fish with the lemon slices, cilantro, and the white parts of the green onion. Arrange the slices of bell pepper on foil on a baking sheet and set the seasoned fish on top of the peppers.
- Bake. Cook the fish for 16-20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches 130°. Allow the fish to rest for five minutes
- 1 tablespoon of the dry seasoning (above)
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1⁄2 c cilantro, leaves and stems (about 2⁄3 bunch)
- 4 green onions, the green parts roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pineapple
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the dry seasoning, jalapeno, lemon zest and juice, cilantro, green onion, pineapple, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until homogeneous, scraping the bowl once or twice to combine evenly. Once blended, stir in the oil.
Piña Cabbage Slaw
- Juice of one lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce, or substitute soy sauce
- 2 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, deseeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 c thinly sliced pineapple
- 1⁄3 c red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 c cilantro, chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, brown sugar, and fish or soy sauce. Add the cabbage, green onions, jalapeno, pineapple, bell pepper, cilantro and toss.