Honey Rosemary Cornbread
Calories 560, Carbs 85 grams, Fat 20 grams, Protein 13 grams
- 1 stick (½ cup) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons honey, plus more for serving
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- Zest and juice of 1 medium orange
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ½ cups cornmeal (coarse or fine)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven with a 10 inch cast iron skillet in it to 400°F.
- Melt 1 stick of butter along with the honey in a small skillet or in the microwave. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs, buttermilk, nonfat milk and the orange zest and juice.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the salt, baking powder, baking soda, cornmeal and chopped rosemary. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until everything is just combined.
- Carefully remove the hot cast iron skillet from the oven. Swirl in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter so that it coats the bottom and sides of the pan. Pour the batter in and place in the oven. Bake until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of honey over the top (if desired).