Grilled Fish Tacos
4 (2 each)
Calories 118, Carbs 11 grams, Fat 3 grams, Protein 12 grams
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, plus more for cooking
- 2 pounds skinless halibut filets, cut into 8 – 2 inch wide strips (or another flakey white fish such as mahi mahi or cod)
- 2 fresh pineapple rings, 1 inch thick (omit if low-carb)
- 1/4 of a small purple cabbage, finely shaven
- 1/4 of a small green cabbage, finely shaven
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, divided, plus more to taste
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, sour cream or crema
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 8 corn tortillas, to serve (use lettuce wraps for low-carb)
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat a grill pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, ½ tablespoon of salt and ¼ cup of avocado oil to make a paste
- Gently rub the pieces of fish with the spice paste, coating all sides; set aside.
- Drizzle the pineapple rings with a bit of oil and place on the grill pan or cast iron skillet on high heat. Cook for 2 minutes per side, until lightly charred. Remove from the heat.
- Dice the pineapple, cutting around the core, and place in a large bowl along with the purple and green cabbages, red onion, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, cilantro and ½ tablespoon of salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, hot sauce and remaining lime juice and season to taste. Add more lime juice as needed.
- Place the tortillas on the hot pan for 15-30 seconds per side, or until warmed through. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel until ready to build the tacos.
- Place the fish filets on the pan over high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- Build the tacos by adding the cooked fish to the bottom of a warm tortilla then top it with the cabbage slaw and a drizzle of the spicy yogurt.