Grilled Chicken Tacos
Calories 224, Carbs 18 grams, Fat 6 grams, Protein 23 grams
Ingredients for the tacos:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 small lime, zest and juice
- 10 corn tortillas, warm
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco, for garnish (optional)
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for the mango salsa:
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 – 2 serrano chilies, minced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- For the chicken: In a zip top bag or large bowl combine the chicken, oil, chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, coriander, lime zest and juice and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to combine and set aside to marinade for at least 15 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- Make the salsa by stirring together the mango, avocado, onion, bell pepper and chilies in a medium bowl. Add the lime zest and half of the juice along with the salt and mix. Taste and adjust with more lime juice and salt as needed. Stir in the cilantro and set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat a grill pan or large skillet over medium high heat. When the pan is almost smoking hot carefully lay the chicken in, beginning closest to you and laying away from you to avoid any splatters. Cook for 5 minutes or until seared golden brown before flipping and cooking the other side for a further 5 to 7 minutes. The internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken should be 165°F. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. After the chicken has rested, dice it into bite-sized pieces.
- To build the tacos take one warm tortilla and spoon in some of the chicken. Top with the mango salsa, chopped cilantro and queso fresco.