Golden Angel Food Cake
Calories 138, Carbs 30 grams, Fat .3 grams, Protein 4 grams
- 12 large (425 grams) egg whites, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (298 grams) coconut sugar, finely ground in a spice grinder, blender or food processor, divided
- 1 cup (120 grams) whole wheat pastry flour or cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 pints mixed berries or stone fruit
- 2 teaspoons honey
- fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Make sure your angel food cake pan (or 10” round cake pan) is clean and dry.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or large mixing bowl if using a hand mixer, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar on low speed until the cream of tartar is dissolved. Add the vanilla extract and whisk on medium speed until soft peaks begin to form. Lower the speed and gradually add in half of the coconut sugar. Whisk until stiff peaks are formed.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and remaining half of coconut sugar. Carefully, in thirds, fold in the dry ingredients to the egg whites.
- Transfer the batter to the cake pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and the top springs back when you gently touch it.
- Remove from the oven then carefully flip the cake pan over, using a bottle to hold the center if your pan doesn’t have legs, and cool upside down for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- While the cake is cooling: in a bowl combine the berries or stone fruit with honey. Leave at room temperature to macerate.
- Using an offset spatula or butter knife, loosen the edges all around the cake pan and transfer to a platter. Top with macerated berries or stone fruit; garnish with fresh mint leaves.