Fried Chicken & Savory Northwest Waffles
To the uninitiated, this combo may sound like a confusing mix-up. To those in the know, this crunchy tender mash-up is all the good things. Savory waffles and the lightest tenderest fried chicken collide to make homey treat for all seasons. Come on over and learn how to make your neighbors jealous.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for Fried Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, approximately 4 to 5 pounds, broken down into 8 sections
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce of your choice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
Ingredients for Hot Honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 2 habanero chiles, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped or 1 to 2 teaspoons of red chile flakes
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/2 cup honey, preferably local
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Ingredients for Savory Waffles
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/3 cup fresh minced chives, plus more for garnishing
- For the Fried Chicken: First, remove the skin from the breast, thigh, and drumsticks. You can leave the bone in for the thighs and drumsticks. Depending on the size of the chicken breast, you can debone it and cut into pieces similar in size to the thigh and drumsticks. Pat the chicken pieces dry with a paper towel, then combine with 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Cover the bowl and let sit while you prepare the hot honey.
- For the Hot Honey: Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a small pan over medium heat. Add the habanero and garlic and stir occasionally until it just starts to become golden, about 4 to 5 minutes. If using dried chile flakes, stir in the chile flakes to the pan after the garlic has started to brown slightly. Add the honey, a pinch of salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a slow simmer and cook for 5 minutes to let the flavors meld. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vinegar. Keep the honey warm until ready to serve.
- For the Savory Waffles: In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix gently until fully incorporated. Add the melted butter and chives and stir to combine. Fold in the cheddar and chives and set the mixture aside.
- To fry the chicken: Prepare a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and hot sauce. In a second large bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, then in the buttermilk, and again in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Place the dredged chicken pieces on the wire rack and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Add enough vegetable oil to a large pan until it comes about 2-inches up the sides of the pan. Heat over medium heat until it reaches 350F. (Ideal frying temperature for chicken is 325F, but the temperature will drop once the cold chicken is added to the pan.)
- When the oil is hot, carefully add a few chicken pieces to the pan and fry until golden brown color and the internal temperature reaches 165F, about 6 to 7 minutes. About 2 to 3 minutes into the cook time, turn the chicken over to cook evenly on all sides. Transfer fried chicken to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil, then repeat with remaining chicken.
- To assemble: Preheat your waffle maker and coat with nonstick oil spray. Every waffle maker varies greatly with its cooking recommendations, so only pour in as much batter as instructed by your waffle maker. Cook until the outside of the waffle is golden brown, crispy, and fully cooked inside – anywhere between 4 to 6 minutes. Carefully transfer the waffle to a plate, then place fried chicken on top and drizzle with warm hot honey. Garnish with chopped chives and enjoy.