Calories 250, Carbs 25 grams, Fat 12 grams, Protein 12 grams
For the crust:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon ice water
For the filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup half & half
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups spinach, sauteed
- 1 cup sauteed mixed vegetables, such as mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and/or asparagus
- To make the crust: mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle of the flour mix and pour in the oil and water. Gradually add the flour mix into the wet ingredients with a fork, until the dough begins to form large clumps.
- Transfer the pie dough to the counter top and, using your hands and a bench scraper, fold the dough into itself until the flour is fully incorporated into the fats.
- Roll out the crust into a circle that is 1 inch wider than the rim of your 9 inch pie dish and ¼ inch thick. Carefully fold it in half and transfer it to the pie dish, unfolding it and fitting into the pan. Crimp or flute the edges. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or the freezer for 15 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the crust from the fridge, dock it with a fork (poke holes in it), line it with parchment paper then fill it with pie weights. Bake until the edges are lightly brown, about 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and bake for a further 8 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350°F.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl whisk the eggs, milk, half & half, salt, and pepper together until completely combined. Whisk in the cheese and add-ins then pour into the pre-baked crust.
- Bake the quiche until the center is just about set, about 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- This quiche makes great leftovers! Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Add-ins can be cooked ahead of time and dough can be made 1 day ahead.