Date & Walnut Brownies
Calories 196, Carbs 17 grams, Fat 13 grams, Protein 5 grams
- 200 grams (1 ¼ cups) 70% dark chocolate, chopped in chunks
- 250 grams (1 cup) unsweetened applesauce
- 150 grams (2/3 cup) pitted Medjool dates
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 48 grams (1/2 cup) ground walnuts
- 60 grams (3/4 cup) Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1 cup) walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch by 8-inch square pan and line with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate in a large heatproof bowl over a double boiler (or in the microwave) before stirring in the applesauce. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender pulse the dates until a paste forms, adding a bit of water as needed, scraping the sides of the bowl down as needed; stir into the chocolate and applesauce.
- Slowly pour in the eggs, stirring constantly, until evenly combined then fold in the ground walnuts, cocoa powder and baking powder until just mixed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the toasted walnut pieces, pushing the walnuts down into the batter if desired. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the top is set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with crumbs, not batter (it won’t be clean as this is a fudgy brownie).
- Allow to cool on a rack until room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, wrapped well.