Dark Chocolate Blueberry Buckle
Celebrate the magical pairing of blueberry and dark chocolate with this gluten-free coffee cake. Feel free to use all-purpose flour or any berries you have on hand; the crunchy Dark Chocolate Sea Salt granola clusters are truly the stars of this cake.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
*Your Chef will lead you through all the techniques, so prepping ahead of class is optional
Ingredients for the blueberry mint lemonade:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 ¾ cups water
- 2 bunches mint, roughly torn or chopped
- 1 pint blueberries, washed
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from approximately 5 lemons)
- 2 cups cold water or sparkling water
Ingredients for the streusel:
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) Bakery on Main Dark Chocolate Sea Salt clusters, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 cups (351 grams) Cup for Cup (or 1 for 1) gluten free flour
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) kosher salt
- 3/4 cup (246 grams) maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, room temp
- 2 ½ cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup Bakery on Main Dark Chocolate Sea Salt clusters
- For the lemonade: In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the honey, water and mint. Stir until the honey has dissolved into the water and the mixture comes to a gentle boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before removing or straining the mint out.
- In a large pitcher muddle the blueberries with a splash of the mint simple syrup. Once the blueberries are smashed, stir in the rest of the mint simple syrup and the fresh lemon juice. Allow to sit at room temperature to macerate while you make the buckle.
- Before serving add the cold water along with ice cubes. Serve with additional blueberries and/or lemon slices for garnishing.
- For the buckle: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8 inch by 8 inch square pan or 9 inch by 13 inch rectangle pan, line with parchment paper and spray the paper.
- Put ½ cup of Bakery on Main Dark Chocolate Sea Salt clusters in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Alternatively, put the granola in a bag and smash with a rolling pin or heavy-bottomed pan. Transfer to a small bowl and combine with the remaining ¼ cup of granola, cinnamon, salt and olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the gluten free flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until well-mixed.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the maple syrup, olive oil, egg, vanilla and milk until the egg is completely emulsified into the mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until almost completely combined. Tip in the blueberries and clusters and fold until all of the flour is blended in.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and top with the streusel. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top feels firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before using the parchment paper to lift it out of the pan. Serve warm or allow to cool completely. This cake can be stored, well-wrapped, at room temperature for up to 4 days. For best flavor and texture, re-heat before serving.