Crispy Wrapped Salmon
Easy and impressive is one of our favorite combos and this recipe has both in spades. Tender potatoes, creamy swiss chard, and glorious salmon all climb into a pastry sleeping bag that gets golden brown with a quick stint in the oven. Lovely for company and easy enough for a night in, treat yourself!
Enjoy the symphony of flaky pastry, tender salmon, creamy chard, and crispy potatoes – a truly delicious dish that will have your taste buds singing in delight!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
For the Creamed Chard:
- 2 tablespoons unsañted butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 bunches of chard, stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Salmon en Croute:
- 1-2 yellow potatoes, sliced into 1⁄4” rounds
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 large sheets of puff pastry
- 4 salmon filets, skin removed
- creamed chard, cooled
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the creamed chard: Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot and saute until the shallot is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped chard and cook until the chard is wilted through. Add the white wine and let this simmer until reduced by half. Stir in the cream cheese, parmesan, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Once the cream cheese has completely melted and all of the chard is coated, remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Parcook Your Potatoes: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Once it is very hot, add the sliced potatoes in a single layer. Fry the potatoes for 1-2 minutes on each side, until they are just tender. Set the potato slices on a paper towel to cool.
- Assembly: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Gather all of your ingredients on a large, clean workspace. Cut your pastry sheets in half lengthwise, so that you have 4 rectangles of pastry, each about twice the size of a salmon filet. On one side of a piece of pastry, place 3-4 slices of potato. Place a filet of salmon on top of the potatoes. Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Spread about a quarter cup of creamed chard on top of the salmon filet. Brush a thin layer of beaten egg all around the edge of the pastry, then fold the empty half of the pastry over the stack of potato, salmon, and chard. Use a fork to seal the pastry all around the edges. Repeat with the remaining pastry and salmon filets.
- Bake: Arrange your individual pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Egg wash all over the top, and score the pastry with a knife so that the steam can escape. Decorative scoring can be done at this time, too! Bake for 18-20 minutes.