Creamy Chipotle Shells
Late summer has all the golden toasty vibes we want to hang on to, while autumn is starting to whisper in our ear. This recipe celebrates both seasons, with comforting creamy shells, and fresh corn and basil bring the summer sunshine freshness. Make this dish on a Sunday and enjoy the delicious leftovers all week!
- 1 pound shell pasta
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Cook the shell pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add the ground veal to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up into crumbles.
- Stir in the minced chipotle peppers and cumin, and cook for another minute.
- Add the fresh or frozen corn kernels and cook for a few minutes until they are heated through.
- Add the fresh spinach leaves to the skillet and cook until wilted.
- Pour in the heavy cream and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it cook for a few minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove the skillet from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked pasta, veal mixture, shredded cheddar cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese, and grated Parmesan cheese. Stir well to coat the pasta evenly.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and spread it out evenly.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro before serving.